Toronto Fall Season Plumbing tips
Fall is here and you know what that means–for us living in Toronto, winter will be here before we can imagine. Now is a great time to make sure your home is prepared for the cold and start looking after your plumbing before heading into the winter months. Here are some plumbing tips for the season:
- Disconnect and Store Outdoor Hoses: Make sure all of water spigots are turned off, and then disconnect outdoor hoses. If temperatures get down to freezing and your hoses are still connected, the water inside could freeze and cause problems for your indoor pipes.
- Clean Gutters: Fall means lots of pretty-colored leaves, however, many of those leaves could end up in gutters. If gutters aren’t cleaned out on a regular basis, those leaves could pile up and cause major problems once winter hits. Gutters which are clogged with garbage could prevent water from draining correctly.
- Insulate Exposed Pipes: Take a look around your home and note any pipes that are exposed to the air. These pipes have a greater chance of freezing and bursting during cold temperatures, so make sure you insulate them properly in order to keep them warm.
- Clean Out Septic System: Have the septic tank pumped and sewer line snaked to remove any built-up debris and prevent clogs during the winter. Cleaning septic system can be tough to do it yourself, trust a local plumbing professional to do to the job right.
- Flush Water Heater: Water heater works harder during cold months, this will help get rid of build-up which can reduce water heater’s efficiency.